Emergency Roads Network
Based on the general policies of the country in the Vision Plan regarding preparing the authorities and citizens to face the aftermaths of natural disasters with focus on earthquake disaster, paragraph c of article 65 of the second five years plan of Tehran Municipality and statute of Tehran Disaster Mitigation and Management Organization (TDMMO), this project has been considered for the purpose of increasing the security level and reducing the risk taking of the city.
- To upgrade the emergency road networks introducing new methodology, in consideration of an expansion of Tehran, the location of relevant facilities for disaster emergency operations in/out of Tehran and others.
- To prepare multiple and alternative plans of the main emergency road network in conjunction with other transportation systems such as air transportation, railways and subways
- To assess vulnerability of the emergency road networks based on the aspects including lifeline facilities such as stations and lines of water, gas, electricity and telecommunication, etc. and their interactions
- To prepare a seismic retrofitting plan for the vulnerability of the emergency road networks including bridges and tunnels
- To prepare an operation and maintenance plan of the emergency road networks including methodology of clearing the roads after an earthquake, and methodology of revising and expanding the emergency road networks in the future
- To prepare a draft instruction for design and construction of structures, lifelines and buildings adjacent to the emergency road networks, to be included in the urban development plan
- To hold seminars and workshops on the plans related to the emergency road networks
- To hold Simulation (Drill) utilizing disaster scenario based on the result of damage estimation and in consideration of the emergency road networks
The ERN should suffer the lowest possible damage because of its importance for transferring the forces and equipment to the damaged places of Tehran City in the case of a big earthquake. So it is necessary for it to have the lowest vulnerability regarding its elements, buildings, and the lifelines inside or adjacent to it. Knowing about the specifications of the above mentioned facilities is necessary for evaluating their vulnerability.
Reasons for define the project
Tehran City with a multimillion population is the economic and political hub of the country. This city is located in an area with high seismic risk and it is quite possible for Tehran to experience a big earthquake in near future. Large population and vulnerability of many buildings makes the response operations against disasters, especially an earthquake with heavy loss and damages very complicated.
The rescue and relief operations at the disaster time is dependent on transportation. Giving the fact that Tehran usually suffers traffic jams even in ordinary situation, there are concerns regarding traffic stop and paralyzing the rescue and relief operations due to an earthquake. Therefore, determining ERN and developing an emergency transportation program is a necessity for this city.
Specification of Project
The majority of the activities of this project are new and pioneering, and they were carried out for the first time during this project. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Preparing a new database for the bridges (518 bridges)
- Methodology of designing ERN of Tehran; after exploring and comparing the different designed routes in other countries, we came up with a special method which is based on engineering judgment and opinions of the local authorities
- Methodology used for determining the vulnerability of the passages due to earthquake (including vulnerability of bridges, buildings, faults, unstable slopes, lifelines, etc.)
- Methodology of utilization of this data in redundancy control of the selected road network
- Preparing the methodology and evaluating the effects of surface faulting, Qantas collapse, landslide on the ERN.
- Developing the metodology and evaluating the effects of damages and repairing the lifelines of water, electricity, gas, telecommunication and sewage on the ERN.
- Estimating the volume and development of the debris of the buildings falling into the ERN of Tehran City.
- Evaluation of the blockage situation of the ERN.