Establishment of Emergency Response Plan for the 1st 72 hours after anEarthquake in Tehran
Output 3: Emergency Evacuation
- Increasing level of Emergency Response for the first 72 hours after an earthquake in Tehran;
- Increasing level of preparedness for Tehran Disaster Mitigation and Management Organization (TDMMO) and other organizations active in Emergency Evacuation;
- Taking measures required to enhance emergency response level in Tehran e.g. finding appropriate locations as evacuation sites, preparation and equipping evacuation sites, training people and increasing public awareness on evacuation issues and preparation of guidelines;
- Increasing public awareness for appropriate response to natural disasters.
Steps taken for implementation of project:
- Selecting two neighborhoods (Mahale) from two districts of Tehran Municipality (Districts 2 and 17) as a pilot based on the several selection criteria for implementation of project;
- Plotting emergency evacuation map and preparation of evacuation guideline for residents in pilot neighborhoods (Mahale);
- Formulating Emergency Evacuation Operation Manual according to current status of two selected Mahale;
- Elaborating responsibilities, authorities and the process of emergency evacuation management following occurrence of earthquake (formulation of Tehran Emergency Evacuation Management Structure);
- Convening training courses for different target groups e.g. TDMMO and pilot districts' experts e.g. project counterparts, members of DAWAM (neighborhood emergency response volunteers groups and members of districts' councils (Shorayari) in two pilot districts. This includes holding workshops on preparation Mahale identification map and DIG (Disaster Imagination Game) and also convening table–top drills;
- Implementation of Emergency Evacuation Drill in pilot neighborhoods (Mahale) with participation of Mahale residents.
Emergency Evacuation Drill:
This drill has been implemented with the aim to increase level of preparedness for residents in order to make them able to have appropriate response to Tehran possible disasters, to make them familiar with the process of emergency evacuation and to enhance level of public participation.
- Formulation and finalization of scenarios and terms of reference (TOR) for individuals and organizations responsible in disaster management;
- Holding training sessions and dissemination of information at neighborhoods (Mahale) level of selected districts in order to make the residents familiar with the process of emergency evacuation and to raise their awareness in this regard;
- Holding training sessions and dissemination of information for increasing level of public participation in selected Mahale through meetings, utilization of training materials and distribution of guidelines and notifications;
- Utilization of public participation potentials that exists in mahale e.g. mosques, districts councils (Shorayari), Basij volunteers groups, schools, cultural houses, Health Houses and religious meetings at mahale level
Outcomes and Achievements:
Besides recognition of strong and weak points, analysis of roles and functions and receiving suggestions for making the methods more appropriate in future drills, implementation of this pilot project demonstrated that these kinds of experiences not only can extend level of trust toward public organizations and their officials but also can enhance confidence level among local people and make them ready and prepared for boosting their participation in mitigation, preparedness ad response plans.